FORSYTH COUNTY, Ga. — Police have recovered the bodies of two men on a boat at Lake Lanier in Forsyth County, Georgia.
Law enforcement officials said the two men, who were family members, went onto their boat Friday night with another male family member.
The three men slept on the boat with plans to spend time with family at the lake on Saturday.
When family arrived Saturday, two of the men were unresponsive, WSB-TV reported. The third was disoriented and taken to a hospital where he is being treated for carbon monoxide exposure, according to the news channel.
Officials believe a generator on the boat caused the gas poisoning. Since it has no color, odor or taste, the men were likely unaware that there was an issue.
“Though it was in an area that was not enclosed, the positioning of the generator did not allow the exhaust to exit the boat,” deputies said. “Instead it filled the cabin where the men were sleeping.”
Lake Lanier is infamous as a location with an eerie history. The Georgia Department of Natural Resources reported 145 drownings and 57 boating fatalities between 1999 and 2018. Four people drowned at the lake last month alone.