The only total lunar eclipse this year and next came with a supermoon bonus. On Sunday night, the moon, Earth and sun lined up to create the eclipse, which was visible throughout North and South America, where skies were clear.
Astronomy buffs got a special treat Sunday as a combined lunar eclipse, blood moon and supermoon added a red glow to the night sky.
Social media users are sharing their snapshots with the hashtag #SuperBloodWolfMoon. Here are some of our favorites:
Photo by @PatrickDillons, Twitter2. New York City
Photo by @maximusupinnyc, Instagram3. Austin, Texas
Photo by @zandi_photography, Instagram4. Toronto
Photos by @TorSunphoto21, Twitter5. Walland, Tennessee
Photo by @OneLanePhoto, Twitter6. Colorado
Photo by @jason_odell, Twitter7. Birds Hill Provincial Park, Manitoba, Canada
Photo by @ryanlucenkiw, Instagram8. Olin, Iowa
Photos by @BillWeirCNN, Twitter9. Martinez, California
Photo by @jcfphotog, Twitter10. New York City
Photo by @guygabriel57, Instagram
Homicide investigators in California have finally put a name to a young woman found brutally slain near Anaheim more than 31 years ago.
The remains of Tracey Coreen Hobson, 20, of Anaheim, were positively identified Tuesday, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Department. The identification was made using DNA technology and forensic odontology.
“Forensic genealogy has provided a new tool for investigators to work cases from a different angle to bring closure to families,” Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes said in a statement. “We will never stop investigating these types of cases and seeking justice for victims of crime.”
A passerby stumbled upon Hobson’s skeletal remains Aug. 30, 1987, in a grassy area about 50 feet off Santa Ana Canyon Road in unincorporated Anaheim, Sheriff’s Office officials said. The body, which investigators believe had been in that location for about two months, was found with no identification and the only items recovered in the area were a length of cord and a red handkerchief.
Hobson had been stabbed in the torso and her hands had been removed, authorities said in a news release. Clumps of her blonde hair were found at the scene.
Extensive investigation -- including Orange County’s first clay model facial reconstruction -- failed to either identify the victim or determine who killed her and, despite periodic reviews of the case, it went cold, the news release said.
The California Department of Justice’s Bureau of Forensic Services was able to extract DNA from the remains in May 2005, at which time it was uploaded to national and California databases of missing people. The sample was compared to that of several possible candidates over the years, but no match was found.
Investigators again tried to identify the victim in 2017 by developing new images of the woman in conjunction with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, or NCMEC, and the National Missing and Unidentified Person System, also known as NamUs. Still, Hobson remained unidentified, authorities said.
It wasn’t until August 2018 that investigators decided to try investigative genealogy, the breakthrough technique that has helped solve several cases, including that of the notorious Golden State Killer. They partnered with the DNA Doe Project, a nonprofit, volunteer-run forensic genealogy group that works to identify victims of crime who have gone nameless for years.
Since its inception in 2017, the organization has positively identified six men and women.
The DNA Doe Project tentatively identified Hobson on Nov. 14, after obtaining DNA believed to be from a family member and matching it to the sample taken from her remains, the news release said. Odontology, or the study of her teeth and bite pattern, confirmed the match.
Hobson’s family has been notified of the identification, authorities said.
DNA Doe Project officials thanked the Sheriff’s Department for entrusting them with the case, which was called Anaheim Jane Doe before Hobson was identified. They also thanked the NCMEC and NamUs for their help, as well as the experts and lab workers who worked to bring closure to Hobson’s loved ones.
“Our condolences go out to Tracey’s family,” a statement on the group’s Facebook page read.
Sheriff’s Department investigators are now focusing on the last months of Hobson’s life in an effort to find her killer. Anyone with information on her or the case is asked to contact Orange County Crime Stoppers at 855-TIP-OCCS, or 855-847-6227, or visit the Crime Stoppers website at occrimestoppers.org.
It was a Christmas gift that, unfortunately, kept on giving.
A Virginia woman had to deal with more than 100 praying mantises that got loose from a box under her Christmas tree, WJLA reported.
“Bugs,” Molly Kreuze, of Springfield, told the television station. “Crawling on the walls, crawling on the ceilings. Just kind of moving.”
The insects got loose from a brown egg-case that was under the tree’s branches, WJLA reported.
Kreuze, who is a veterinarian, has been using a box and envelope to catch the critters. She is feeding the captured bugs fruit flies and wants to find a home for them.
“In my Googling, I discovered people really like praying mantises,” Kreuze told the television station. “They are useful, they eat other bugs, people use them for organic gardening.
“I hope to find them a home. I don’t want them.”
A 71-year-old man from France has begun his quest to cross the Atlantic Ocean in a barrel-shaped orange capsule, relying solely on currents and tradewinds to steer him to the Caribbean, the BBC reported.
Jean-Jacques Savin embarked from El Hierro in the Canary Islands. He is documenting his trip through a Facebook page and plans to post daily updates, including GPS coordinates, The New York Times reported.
Savin’s cabin includes a kitchen, storage and a sleeping bunk, the BBC reported.
Savin, who lives in Arès in southwestern France, is riding in a capsule that is about 10 feet long and nearly 7 feet wide that is held upright by a concrete ballast, the Times reported. A solar panel generates power so Savin can communicate and post GPS coordinates, the BBC reported.
In his latest Facebook post, Savin said the barrel was “behaving well,” according to the BBC.
Savin told the French news service Agence France-Presse in a telephone interview that "The weather is great. I've got a swell of 1 meter and I'm moving at 2-3 kilometers per hour. I've got favorable winds forecast until Sunday."
Savin has previously crossed the Atlantic four times on a sailboat, the Times reported.
For New Year’s Eve and his birthday (Jan. 14), Savin packed foie gras, a bottle of Sauternes white wine and a Saint-Émilion red, he told AFP.
Savin hopes to complete his trip in three months and wants to land on a French island.
"Maybe Barbados, although I would really like it to be a French island like Martinique or Guadaloupe," Savin said. "That would be easier for the paperwork and for bringing the barrel back."
Comet 46P/Wirtanen, also known as the "Christmas Comet," brightened the night sky this weekend, coming within 7.2 million miles of Earth on Sunday.
Photographers flocked to social media to share their stunning shots of the celestial phenomenon. Here are some of our favorites:
Photo by Kevin Palmer, @krp234, Twitter3. Grand Mesa Observatory, Whitewater, Colorado
Photo by Jack Fusco, @jackfusco, Instagram5. Ohrid, Macedonia
The University of Washington School of Medicine is one of three sites in the United States enrolling couples in the first clinical trial testing the efficacy of male contraception.
The contraception, in the form of a gel, is applied to the man's shoulders. The study looks at whether application of the gel can prevent pregnancy for a year.
The trial is being conducted jointly by the Population Council, the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, and the Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute.
According to a news release from UW, studies have shown that more than half of men would use a male contraceptive if it is reversible and uncomplicated.
The InSight lander successfully landed on Mars on Monday, NASA said.
"Touchdown confirmed. InSight is on the surface of Mars!” NASA reported from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California.
It was the moment of truth for a NASA project that has been ongoing for six months, the culmination of a 295 million-mile, six-month voyage.
Anxiety was high at NASA, which last attempted a landing on the red planet six years ago.
"I am completely excited and completely nervous, all at the same time," InSight project manager Tom Hoffman said Sunday during a news conference at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California. "Everything we've done to date makes us feel comfortable and confident we're going to land on Mars. But Mars could always throw us a curve ball.”
NASA launched the InSight lander on May 5. The mission, which cost $850 million, will study the deep interior of Mars and will help scientists understand the formation and early evolution of Mars and other rocky planets, including Earth.
What makes the landing perilous is that the InSight lander must go from 12,300 mph to 5 mph in six minutes, according to Space.com.
During that time, the spacecraft must fire its descent engines, deploy its parachutes, and hopefully land upright on the Martian surface, according to the The Associated Press.
Even after the spacecraft lands, the InSight team won't know that the stationary spacecraft's solar panels have deployed until 8:35 p.m. EST at the earliest, Space.com reported. That’s when NASA's Mars Odyssey orbiter will be in position to relay confirmation to Earth.
Only 40 percent of the missions ever sent to Mars have successfully landed on the planet, and the U.S. is the only nation to land a craft on the surface, NASA officials said. “Since 1965, it (the U.S.) has flown by, orbited, landed on and roved across the surface of the Red Planet.”
The annual Leonid meteor shower peaked this weekend, offering a stunning natural light show.
Skygazers took to social media to share their photos of the celestial phenomenon. Here are some of our favorites:
Photo by @gareth_mon_photography, Instagram2. South Stack, Wales, United Kingdom
Photo by @bigolivesphoto, Instagram3. Cannon Beach, Oregon
Photo by @lestertsaiphotography, Instagram4. Coleman, Alberta, Canada
Photo by @bound_for_mountain, Instagram5. Blauen, Germany
Photo by Stephane Vetter, Facebook6. Lone Mountain, Big Sky Resort, Montana
Photo by @davepecunies, Instagram7. The Rumps, Cornwall, United Kingdom
Photo by @chrisfletcherphotography, Instagram8. Oregon
Photo by @thezachhayes, Instagram9. Llyn y Dywarchen, Snowdonia, Wales, United Kingdom
Photo by @_belial, Instagram
Fossils believed to be more than 11,000 years old were found by two employees of Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, KXAS reported.
Pieces of a mammoth’s tooth and a bison thigh bone were found in a creek at the airport, WFAA reported.
“Two employees of the airport’s Environmental Affairs Department found the tooth while conducting routine field tests for potential impacts to the environment,” an airport spokesman told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram in an email.
The fossils were found on Nov. 2 and 3 by Brandon Burks and Roger Duval, WFAA reported.
Burks told the television station that he originally thought the fossils were rocks.
"(They were) completely exposed, you know, it wasn't buried at all, which was interesting," Burks said.
Duval, an amateur fossil hunter, had a stronger reaction.
“He kind of put them together and was like, 'You know what, this could be a mammoth tooth,'" Burks told WFAA. "We kind of freaked out."
The fossils will be moved from the airport to SMU for cataloguing and further study, the television station reported.
Take www.theboneonline.com everywhere you go! Download your app below from the Apple App Store:
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!