On Air Now
No Program

crime & law

200 items
Results 41 - 50 of 200 < previous next >

Woman accused of stalking man, sending him 65,000 text messages after one date

A woman is behind bars after police say she stalked a man she met via an online dating site, allegedly sending him tens of thousands of text messages, sneaking into his home and appearing at his office.

The Arizona Republic reported that Jacqueline Claire Ades, 31, of Phoenix, was arrested Tuesday on charges of stalking, threatening and intimidation, and harassment by communication.

According to Maricopa County court documents, a Paradise Valley man said Ades began stalking him last year after the two met online and went on a date. He told officers that "he has received approximately 65,000 messages from [the] defendant and that she will send 500 a day," the documents said

>> Read more trending news 

Police "observed numerous threatening messages," the documents said. In one message, Ades wrote that she wanted to bathe in the man's blood, police said. In another message, she reportedly claimed to be "like the new Hitler ... man was a genius." She also wrote that she'd kill the man if he ever tried to leave her, police said.

But the harassment wasn't limited to text messages, police said.

In April, the man called Paradise Valley police "stating that he was out of the country ... and observed Ades in his home" while monitoring his home surveillance video, the department said in a press release Wednesday.

"When officers arrived, they found Ades in the residence taking a bath," the release said. She was arrested and charged with trespassing.

Less than a month later, Ades was "acting irrationally" outside the man's office, the release said. Scottsdale police said that when they arrived, she said she was the man's wife and they removed her from the property.

After her arrest, Ades told KPHO that she loves the man and called him her "soulmate."

"I thought we would just do what everybody else did and we would get married and everything would be fine," she said.

Read more here or here.

Mother charged with murder in death of 2-year-old son

A Tennessee mother has been accused of killing her toddler son.

>> Watch the news report here

According to the Memphis Police Department, officers responded to an ambulance call at 3439 Southern, where a 2-year-old boy was unresponsive, at 11:50 a.m. Thursday. 

>> Read more trending news 

Two-year-old Jaylen Dodson was transported to Baptist Children’s Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. 

The death was ruled a homicide due to multiple blunt force trauma injuries, according to police. The child's mother, Davida Wooden, 25, was arrested and charged with aggravated child abuse, aggravated child neglect and first-degree murder.

‘Golden State Killer’ suspect charged in 4 additional homicides, bringing count to 12

The man accused of being the notorious Golden State Killer has been charged with first-degree murder in the last four of the dozen homicides officially attributed to the serial rapist and killer who tormented communities throughout California in the 1970s and 1980s.

“Violent cold cases never grow cold for victims or their loved ones. They never do,” Santa Barbara County District Attorney Joyce Dudley said Thursday during a news conference to announce the charges against Joseph James DeAngelo Jr., 72, of Citrus Heights.

“In fact, most of them spend their lives feverishly seeking answers and desperately hoping for justice,” Dudley said. 

The families appeared one step closer to justice Thursday as Dudley’s office filed charges against DeAngelo in the Dec. 30, 1979, double slaying of Dr. Robert Offerman, 44, and his girlfriend, Dr. Debra Alexandria Manning, 35, inside Offerman’s condominium in Goleta. The couple’s killer broke in through a sliding glass door, tied them up and shot them to death. 

Santa Barbara County prosecutors have also filed charges against DeAngelo in the July 27, 1981, double slaying of Greg Sanchez, 27, and Cheri Domingo, 35, who were killed in Domingo’s home just blocks from where the Offerman-Manning homicides took place nearly two years before. Sanchez was shot and beaten to death, while Domingo was raped before she was bludgeoned. 

DeAngelo faces sentencing enhancements in all four homicides due to them being multiple slayings, according to the felony complaint. The crimes were also committed during the commission of other crimes, such as burglary and rape, and the perpetrator used a firearm during the crimes. 

DeAngelo, a Vietnam veteran and former police officer in northern California, was arrested April 24 in Sacramento County after a DNA match to evidence in the Golden State Killer case linked him to several of the crime scenes. The Golden State Killer, alternatively known as the Original Night Stalker, the East Area Rapist and the Visalia Ransacker, was suspected of at least 12 homicides, more than 50 rapes and over 100 burglaries. 

Related story: ‘Golden State Killer’ suspect tracked down using DNA on genealogy website, officials say

Cold case investigators narrowed down their suspect list after Paul Holes, a now-retired Contra Costa County investigator, uploaded the Golden State Killer’s DNA profile onto an open source ancestry website, where he found a similar profile belonging to the alleged killer’s distant relative. 

Once DeAngelo, through the database and other circumstantial evidence, became a prime suspect, investigators obtained his DNA from material he discarded and more conclusively matched his genetic profile to that of the Golden State Killer. 

DeAngelo, who was arrested outside his home while he worked on a woodworking project, was initially charged with two counts of murder in the 1978 shooting deaths of Brian and Kate Maggiore. The Rancho Cordova couple were walking their dog the night of Feb. 2 when they were accosted by a man in a ski mask burglarizing a home. 

Brian Maggiore, a military policeman, was shot to death after he began chasing the burglar, authorities said. The gunman then chased down Katie Maggiore and fatally shot her. 

The Sacramento Bee reported that DeAngelo is scheduled for a hearing Monday in the Maggiore case. 

>> Read more trending news

DeAngelo has also been charged with six additional homicides in Ventura and Orange counties. His DNA was reportedly matched to a profile found at the scene of the March 1980 slayings of Lyman and Charlene Smith, who were found dead in their Ventura home.

The Smiths were bound together with drapery cords and bludgeoned to death with a log from their fireplace. The couple’s bodies were discovered by their 12-year-old son. 

In Orange County, DeAngelo has been charged with murder in the August 1980 killings of Keith and Patrice Harrington, who were beaten to death in their Dana Point home. He is also charged there with raping and murdering Manuela Witthuhn and Janelle Cruz, both of Irvine.

Witthuhn, 28, was slain in February 1981 while her husband was in the hospital, and Cruz, 18, was killed in May 1986 while her family was on vacation. 

Dudley on Thursday credited Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert for her “true show of great leadership” by establishing a task force two years ago aimed at renewing the search for the Golden State Killer. Schubert teamed up with prosecutors and investigators from all the jurisdictions in which the prolific serial offender was believed to have struck. 

“From that moment on, we never stopped hoping or believing that an arrest would be made,” Dudley said. 

Dudley said that Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office detectives began investigating DeAngelo the day he was arrested in Sacramento County and that, as a result of the evidence and interviews in the case, she decided to file the charges against him. 

Each charge against him carries the possibility of the death penalty, Dudley said. 

Despite facing multiple murder charges in multiple jurisdictions, DeAngelo remains in the Sacramento County Jail. Schubert told the Bee that the entire case could be moved to Southern California, since most of the slayings of which he is accused took place there. 

Though the rapes committed during the killer’s time as the East Area Rapist will likely not be prosecuted due to the expiration on the statute of limitations, it remains to be seen if DeAngelo will be tied to a homicide committed by the Visalia Ransacker. 

The Ransacker is suspected in the September 1975 killing of College of the Sequoias journalism professor Claude Snelling, who was shot to death outside his home after a man woke his 16-year-old daughter and forced her at gunpoint to leave their home. 

Snelling, who looked out a window and saw the attempted kidnapping, ran outside and was shot twice. He collapsed in the doorway of his home as he tried to give chase to the fleeing gunman. 

The Visalia Times Delta reported that ballistics testing on the bullets that killed Snelling tied the killer to a previous Ransacker burglary.

Police: Woman drove on lawn while intoxicated

A Michigan woman is accused of driving under the influence on her own lawn, police said.

>> Read more trending news 

Nancy Ann Endy, 54, was charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated this week after she was spotted driving a truck on her lawn, WXYZ reported.

Endy allegedly fell over when stopped by police, WXYZ reported.

Police told WXYZ that Endy's breathalyzer test resulted in a .30 BAC. In Michigan, a driver with a .08 BAC or above is considered to be impaired, according to the Michigan State Police.

‘Left eye’ killer leaves distinctive mark on victims in Mississippi

Police say a killer in Marshall County, Mississippi is leaving distinct marks on their victims, shooting them under the left eye and leaving the bodies on the side of a rural county road.

According to WHBQ, there have been four victims found in this way since 2015, but investigators with Marshall County are not releasing any new details about the open cases. 

>> Read more trending news 

Eric Hubbard’s son, Devin, was the first victim. 

“This is a hard pill to swallow every day,” said Hubbard. “Ain’t a day that goes by I don't think about my son.”

Will Phillips lives next door. His son, Will Phillips Jr., was also shot and left for dead with a bullet under his left eye and dumped on a county road.

“The devil did this, (it) was the devil’s work,” Philips said.

Jamon Moton’s son, Delois Bowen, was also killed. She wears his image as a reminder that his murder remains unsolved. 

“Wasn’t no robbery or nothing,” Moton said. “So, I guess it’s a hate crime on my son.”

With no officials speaking on the case officially since 2016, WHBQ turned to criminology expert and former investigator K.B. Turner.

He believes the killer or killers may be operating in the same way for a reason.

“I don’t know the specific message, but it may be to invoke fear,” Turner said. 

Woman leaves worker stranded midair in utility bucket after spat: police

Police arrested a New Jersey woman on charges including false imprisonment after authorities said she left a utility worker stranded in midair after an argument Monday.

>> Read more trending news

The 59-year-old Ridgewood woman, whose name was not released, was arrested after police responded to a report of an argument near the intersection of East Ridgewood and South Pleasant avenues.

An employee of Optimum, a cable television provider, told police that the woman got into a utility truck and turned off power to the truck’s bucket, leaving the worker stranded in the midair with no way to get down. Police said the woman then took unspecified items from the Optimum truck and walked away.

Authorities arrested the woman on charges of harassment, false imprisonment, disorderly conduct and criminal trespass.

Officials did not say what sparked the argument or how high up the worker was when the woman turned off the truck’s bucket.

Men busted for meth after accidentally pocket-dialing 911, deputies say

Two Iowa men will serve prison time after one of them accidentally pocket-dialed 911 while the other was making methamphetamine, deputies say.

According to KCRG, Cody Davis Brown was cooking meth in a building outside a Brandon home on Aug. 2, 2016, when guest Daniel David O'Hara's cellphone, which was in his pocket, somehow called 911, the Buchanan County Sheriff's Office said Tuesday. O'Hara then took the battery out of his phone after realizing the call had gone through, deputies said.

>> Read more trending news 

Deputies responded, discovered Brown making the drug and arrested him, authorities said. O’Hara also was arrested and charged with possession of methamphetamine and zopiclone after deputies learned he was wanted in Wisconsin.

Brown was sentenced Tuesday to 20 years in prison after he was convicted of manufacturing and possessing meth. O'Hara was sentenced in October 2016 to five years in prison.

Read more here.

Man tries to buy girl from grandmother for $200 at Kroger, police say

A Georgia man tried to buy a 7-year-old girl from her grandmother at a Kroger in Cobb County for $200, police said.

Einodd Samimi of Marietta made the offer Monday night while following a woman and her grandchild around the store on Roswell Road, Cobb police spokeswoman Sarah O’Hara said.

Samimi made “inappropriate comments about the child,” the woman told police.

>> Read more trending news 

“The grandmother stated during an interview with detectives that at one point the male asked to purchase the child for $200,” O’Hara said.

The grandmother had seen the man at a Walmart in the 200 block of Cobb Parkway, O’Hara said. At that time, he had requested to "have" her granddaughter for $100. 

“The grandmother confronted the male when he asked to purchase her granddaughter at the Kroger,” O’Hara said, “and a ‘large crowd’ of shoppers chased the male through the store and to his vehicle.”

Samimi was arrested Tuesday and is charged with enticing a child and criminal solicitation.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 770-801-3470.

Michael Bever trial: 2nd brother found guilty of murder in deaths of 5 family members

A jury reached a verdict in the trial of Oklahoma teen Michael Bever on Wednesday.

>> Watch the news report here

>> On Fox23.com: Jury reaches verdict in Bever trial

They found Bever guilty of five charges of first-degree murder and a count of assault and battery with intent to kill after more than five hours of deliberation.

Bever is accused of helping his brother, Robert Bever, kill their parents and three of their siblings in their Broken Arrow home in 2015, when he was 16. Robert Bever later pleaded guilty and received a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

The prosecution's closing arguments included the presentation of a jailhouse journal entry that said, "Once upon a time there were brothers named Robert and Michael. They hated their family and they killed them. The End."

>> Visit Fox23.com for complete coverage

Prosecutors asked jury members not to let sympathy concerning Michael Bever's home life impact their deliberations. They said that even if jurors didn't believe that Michael had actually stabbed anyone, they believe jurors will find that he had helped his brother plan and carry out the killings.

According to prosecutors, no evidence showed that Michael Bever tried to stop the slayings.

>> RELATED: 5 found dead in Oklahoma home; 2 teens in police custody

They said Robert's testimony consisted of lies and that Michael had acted like a guilty person, never running or trying to call for help and even hanging up on a 911 call.

The defense agreed that the situation is overwhelming, but claimed there was not a lot of blood on Michael and said the murders were the result of his brother's descent into mental illness.

They said Michael was abused and showed that he was shocked when his brother carried out the slayings. They pointed out he was not wearing body armor like his brother was after the incident and claimed that the forensic evidence did not match the state's claims.

>> Read more trending news 

Defense attorneys said that the only thing that would have been different if Michael Bever had tried to stop his brother was that he also would have been killed.

Jury deliberation began around 5 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.

Around 10 p.m., jurors reportedly asked the judge a question. The judge told them that they were to consider all six charges as acts committed "in concert with each other in principal to the crime."

They reached a verdict before 11 p.m. and found Michael Bever guilty of all six charges.

The jury will discuss sentencing Thursday.

Police say original ‘Iron Man’ costume has been stolen

The Los Angeles Police Department is investigating the theft of the original Iron Man costume worn by Robert Downey, Jr. in the Marvel movie franchise.

The Los Angeles Times reported that officials said Wednesday morning that the suit disappeared from a Pacoima, California, prop warehouse sometime between February and late April. It is valued at $325,000. 

>> Read more trending news 

LAPD spokesman Christopher No said the suit was reported missing Tuesday. Warehouse employees discovered the item was missing when they “just happened to check” the storage area.

According to KCBS, investigators sad the head, chest, leg and arms of the crimson and gold suit are missing.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, there are currently no suspects and the case is still under investigation.

200 items
Results 41 - 50 of 200 < previous next >