On Air Now
No Program

national

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >

'Thoughts and prayers' check goes viral on Facebook

A Facebook post with a picture of a check without any money has gone viral on Facebook.

>> Read more trending news

Fern Malila, from Michigan, posted the picture Thursday afternoon.

The post is a picture of a letter and the check to Michigan Rep. Jack Bergman -- which has “thoughts and prayers” written where the money amount should be.

"Dear Rep. Bergman," the letter begins. "Since you and your colleagues in Congress seem to feel that this is the solution to mass murder, please accept this contribution."

As of Friday afternoon, the photo had been shared more than 65,000 times.

It was posted in response to a mass shooting at a high school in Parkland, Florida Wednesday afternoon that left 17 people dead. 

Twin babies found dead in suitcase on side of a ditch

Arkansas authorities are investigating the discovery of the bodies of twin babies found in a suitcase in Cross County in the eastern part of the state.

>> Read more trending news 

The infants were found Friday afternoon around 1:45 p.m. on Crossroad 602.

The unidentified bodies were inside a purple suitcase on the side of a ditch. 

The investigation is ongoing, and no suspect information has been released. 

>> Related: Florida school shooting heroes: 3 coaches, teachers gave lives for students

The Cross County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s help in identifying the babies.

Chemicals in nonstick pans could be causing weight gain, study says

Nonstick pans were created to make cooking a little easier. However, they may be causing more harm than good, because they have been linked to weight gain, according to a new report. 

>> Read more trending news 

Researchers from Harvard University recently conducted a study, published in the scientific journal PLOS Medicine, to determine how using the cookware can interfere with weight loss. 

To do so, they examined 621 overweight individuals who participated in a six-month weight loss plan. After 18 months, they found that the dieters had gained back nearly half the weight they lost. 

>> Related: Lack of sunlight in the winter could cause weight gain

Upon further investigation, they discovered that people with the highest levels of perfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), especially women, had gained the most weight. PFAS are man-made chemicals used to make products more stain-resistant, waterproof or nonstick, and they are found on pots, pans and some fast food wrappers. 

“These findings suggest that environmental chemicals may play a role in the current obesity epidemic. Given the persistence of these PFAS in the environment and the human body, their potential adverse effects remain a public health concern,” the researchers wrote.

While scientists aren’t exactly sure why PFAS could cause weight gain, they noted that people with higher levels of PFAS also had a lower resting metabolic rate. In other words, they were burning fewer calories throughout the day while doing normal activities.

>> Related: Why you're not losing weight, even though you're trying

Researchers said they now hope to continue their investigations to better understand the underlying “link between PFAS exposure and weight regulation in humans.”

FBI didn't investigate tip about Nikolas Cruz before deadly school shooting

At least 17 people were killed in a high school shooting Wednesday afternoon in Parkland, Florida and more than a dozen others were injured, according to Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel.

The lone gunman, identified as Nikolas Cruz, 19, was a former student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and was taken into custody without incident after the attack, Israel said.

READ MORE: Who is Nicolas de Jesus Cruz, accused gunman in Florida high school attack? | What to do if you are in an 'active shooter' situationWhat is a mass shooting? Definitions can varyMORE

Melania Trump breaks with tradition again after new affair allegations

Once again, first lady Melania Trump gave off the impression that all is not well in her marriage to President Donald Trump when she broke presidential protocol on Friday following a report alleging the president had an affair with former Playboy Playmate Karen McDougal.

>> Read more trending news

As the Trumps headed to Florida to meet with the victims of this week’s mass shooting at a high school, they began the journey separately. While it’s tradition for the couple to cross the White House lawn to Marine One together, Mrs. Trump decided to forgo the usual walk and instead drove separately to Andrews Air Force Base. She arrived in a separate vehicle ahead of the president and ascended the stairs to Air Force One without him.

“With her schedule, it was easier to meet him on the plane,” Stephanie Grisham, the first lady’s communications director, explained the situation, adding that she does intend to join her husband in visiting the victims.

The suspicious choice comes just hours after The New Yorker published a report based on an account from McDougal, who provided details about her alleged affair with President Trump between June 2006 to April 2007. At the time, the Trumps had been married for two years, and their son, Barron, had been born a few months earlier.

The White House responded to the allegations in a statement saying, “This is an old story that is just more fake news. The President says he never had a relationship with McDougal.”

This isn’t the first time the first lady has broken with tradition in the wake of infidelity accusations. Last month, she arrived at the U.S. Capitol separately from the president to attend his first State of the Union address. It was her first public event following a bombshell report alleging the president paid porn star Stormy Daniels $130,000 in exchange for her silence after the pair had an affair in 2006.

Suspect knocks out partner in crime during attempted break-in

This probably wasn’t quite how these attempted burglars saw their night going.

>> Read more trending news

Surveillance video released by police in Shanghai, China, captured a break-in attempt gone horribly wrong.

In the video, the men approach a business with what appears to be bricks in their hands.

One person throws the brick and hits the door, but the second one’s timing was a little off.

The person throws the brick and hits his accomplice in the head, knocking him out cold.

The person then tries to flee, but has to drag his unconscious partner in crime away from the scene.

Classmate of Nikolas Cruz says ‘No one has ever been a friend to him’

A friend of the suspected Parkland high school shooter said Nikolas Cruz's demeanor changed after his father's death in 2005, but he had no one to turn to for help.

>> Read more trending news 

“We couldn't help him at all. No one had ever been a friend to him,” Ethan Trieu said. “I've known him since sixth grade, I want to start out by saying I'm not rationalizing or justifying what he did. It was completely wrong and horrible and disgusting.”

Trieu said he had no idea that Cruz could commit such a horrific act and kill 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School

>> Related: Photos: Remembering Parkland Florida school shooting victims

“From when I've known him, he was one of the nicest people I've known in my entire life,” Trieu said.

But after Cruz’s father's death, something changed.

“Eventually after a couple of months, he started talking again, but he couldn't fit back in correctly, and he met the wrong people. They encouraged him and motivated him to do all this wrong stuff, like throw pencils at the teacher and stuff,” Trieu said.

Trieu said as years passed, Cruz became more of an outcast, was bullied, started speaking of violence to the point that in just January, the FBI missed the opportunity to follow up on a warning about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, disturbing social media posts and the potential that he could conduct a school shooting.

>> Related: FBI didn't investigate tip about Nikolas Cruz before deadly school shooting: Live updates

Trieu said the last time he saw Cruz was moments after the shooting as students evacuated.

“I remember noticing him walking past us and I remember him blending in wearing a t-shirt that's from the school. He blended in very well and apparently some people greeted him and he greeted back,” Trieu said. 

>> Related: 'You killed my kid!': Father of sh

Gibson guitar company, maker of the Les Paul, facing bankruptcy after 116 years in business

Gibson guitar company, which has been a staple brand among various musical instruments since 1902, is facing bankruptcy.

>> Read more trending news 

According to the Nashville Post, Gibson’s chief financial officer, Bill Lawrence, left after six months on the job and just as $375 million in senior secured notes mature and $145 million in bank loans become due, if they aren’t refinanced by July

The departure of Lawrence was seen as a bad sign for a company trying to re-organize.

The company, which generates $1 billion a year in revenues, recently moved out of its Nashville warehouse, where it had operated since the mid 1980s. 

The company owner since then, Henry Juskiewicz, is trying to re-order the company according to the Post but is facing a battle with creditors over bad business decisions. The company recently sold Baldwin piano, and is hoping to see a boost in cash from the various electronics companies it had purchased the last several years.

Gibson began in 1902 in Kalamazoo, Mich., producing various instruments, including acoustic guitars. In 1952 the company brought in famous guitarist Les Paul to sell a guitar based on his own name, which would become one of the most iconic instruments ever made.

The Gibson Les Paul began production in 1952, and became a staple of the rock and roll movement since. The company since developed other iconic guitars such as the SG, Firebird, and has sponsored hundreds of musicians. 

>> Related: JNCO is closing for good; wide-leg jeans being liquidated

The company moved from Kalamazoo to Nashville in the mid 1980s. 

Ultra-processed foods like chicken nuggets could cause cancer, researchers say

It’s no secret that ultra-processed foods, such as chicken nuggets and meatballs, have been connected to health issues like high blood pressure and heart disease. Now, researchers are adding cancer to the list, according to a new report. 

>> Read more trending news 

European researchers from universities and health institutions recently conducted a study, published in the British Medical Journal, to assess the association between cancer risk and ultra-processed foods.

Ultra-processed foods include packaged breads and snacks; confectionery and desserts; sodas and sweetened drinks; and meat balls, poultry and fish nuggets.

For their assessment, they examined the medical records and eating habits of about 100,000 adults. The data also kept track of the patients’ consumption of 3,300 different foods. 

>> Related: Cancer vaccine wipes out tumors in mice, human trials to come

After analyzing the information, they found that a 10 percent increase in consumption of ultra-processed foods was linked to a 12 percent rise in cancers.

"If confirmed in other populations and settings, these results suggest that the rapidly increasing consumption of ultra-processed foods may drive an increasing burden of cancer in the next decades," the authors wrote. 

Despite their results, scientists were not able to definitively say that ultra-processed foods cause cancer. That’s why they are hoping to continue their investigation to confirm their findings on a larger scale. 

In the meantime, they are encouraging policymakers to encourage companies to reduce the production of ultra-processed foods. 

>> Related: Amino acid in asparagus could cause the spread of cancer, study says

“Policy actions targeting product reformulation, taxation, and marketing restrictions on ultra-processed products,” they wrote, “and promotion of fresh or minimally processed foods may contribute to primary cancer prevention.”

‘Frustrations validate changes’: Snapchat CEO excited about redesign despite backlash

Earlier this month, Snapchat rolled out an update full of new designs and features. While many users weren’t too thrilled about the changes, the company seems to be happy about them. 

>> Read more trending news 

TechCrunch reported that Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel recently responded to the backlash surrounding the platform’s latest layout. Unlike many, he said, he is excited about what he’s seeing. 

“The harder part you can’t get around is the time it takes to learn,” he said at the Goldman Sachs Internet and Technology Conference Thursday. “Even the complaints we’re seeing reinforce the philosophy. Even the frustrations we’re seeing really validate those changes. It’ll take time for people to adjust but, for me, using it for a couple months I feel way more attached to the service.”

Snapchat first announced the redesign at the end of last year and the tweaks were gradually introduced to markets at the beginning of 2018. 

Related: ‘Change it back’: Snapchat users not happy about latest update

Stories are no longer ordered chronologically. Instead, they are ranked based on your most recent interactions. It also takes a few more steps to rewatch a story. The option to rewatch a post isn’t available right after viewing. You now have to go to the user’s profile to get a second peek. 

Furthermore, the friends section now contains snaps, direct messages and group chats all on one page, as opposed to separate pages as before. And to manage your own stories, you now have to tap the Snapchat logo to access the camera and see your story views and deleted snaps.

As the alterations appeared, many took to social media to express their displeasure. More than 1 million people even signed a petition on Change.org in an attempt to force the company to revert back to the original setup. 

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >